The original recipe (which can be found here) is all in US measurements, so I converted it to my preferred method of grams. The only problem I had was with the crumble topping; I probably made a mistake when converting the measurements, but it was really dough-like and gooey...not crumbly at all! It was easily fixed by adding more flour. I also changed a few bits of the original recipe, for example I added more cinnamon and sugar to the apple mixture.
The recipe also asks for a pre-made pastry base, but I chose to make my own using Jamie Oliver's sweet pastry recipe (which can be found here). I halved the recipe as I didn't need a lid on this pie!
I also chose to serve the pie up with a spoonful of caramel sauce instead of pouring it on top of the whole pie, which is what the recipe suggests. Each to their own, you decide what you want to do.
It was a really yummy pie and I will definitely be making it again.
Crunchy Caramel Apple Pie
Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
- 250g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50g icing sugar
- 125g cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 large egg
- splash of milk
- To make the pastry, sieve the flour onto a clean work surface and sieve the icing sugar on top. Add the butter and work it into the flour and icing sugar using your fingertips, until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. PASTRY WORKS BEST WHEN YOU HAVE COLD HANDS! :)
- Crack in the egg and add the milk if needed to bring it all together. Work it as little as possible.
- If it's a bit sticky, roll in a little more flour, then wrap in plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll the pastry out on a floured work surface and place it in the bottom of a well greased pie tin.
- 50g caster sugar
- 20g brown sugar
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 6 apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- Mix together the sugars, flour, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl then stir in the apples so they are coated in the sugar mix.
- Pour into your pastry case.
- 110g brown sugar
- 150g flour
- 50g oats
- 110g butter
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend until crumbly.
- Pour on top of the apple filling.
Bake in the oven at 180 degrees Celcius for 20-25 minutes. Then cover with foil so the crumble topping doesn't burn and bake for another 20 minutes.
When the pie is cooked, scatter with pecans and serve with caramel sauce (I used Carnation tinned caramel).
Love Becca x