Cake pops are one of my favourite things to make. They are quite time consuming but the end result is always great! I had never heard of cake pops before until I stumbled across the wonderful Bakerella. Her creativity never fails to amaze me, and whilst I don't think I'll ever be as talented in the cake pop field as she is, her designs and ideas are always inspirational :)
For those of you who haven't heard of cake pops before, they are basically balls of cake on a lollipop stick. Below are some helpful step by step directions to get you started.
1. Bake a flavour cake of your choice and leave until completely cool.
2. Crumble your cake (I find the easiest way to do this is using a food processor).
3. Make up a small amount of frosting (or buy a tub of Betty Crocker if you are short on time!) Add a small amount of frosting to the cake crumbs until it becomes stiff to allow your to form shapes with the cake.
4. Shape your cake balls as you desire, place them on some greaseproof paper on a baking try and pop them in the freezer for 15 mins to allow them to harden slightly.
5. Melt your chocolate or candy coating ready for dipping.I tend to use candy coating as it gives the cake pops a glossier and smoother finish. You can buy it from online or from Hobby Craft and can get it in loads of different colours! You need to melt the chocolate in quite a deep bowl to ensure you can easily dip the cake balls into it.
5. Time to start dipping! Dip the end of the lollipop stick into the candy coating or chocolate first, then put the stick into the cake ball. Then dip your cake ball into the coating. Candy coating sets quite quickly so if you are going to add decorations such as sprinkles make sure you do this straight away!
Here are just a few photos of some of the cake pops I have made. Please see the Becca Bakes Facebook page for even more pictures!
Cake Pop Gallery
Mushroom from Super Mario Bros